This just in from Kristen McDermott of Fryeburg who is in Italy to support her husband Dave’s run at the Tors de Geants.
“This is my last post for Dave. He dropped at Niel... knees too painful to continue. I love a man that knows when he has to drop. Sad he is hurting but soooooo proud of him. Dave... good effort, I love you. Kristen.”
Dave was running the Tour de Geants. The 330K or 205.052-mile race starts in Courmayeur, France, passes through Italy and must be finished in 150 hours. The lowest elevation is 985 feet and the highest is 10,800 feet. The total elevation gain is about (78,700 feet).
Just to get to run the Tour de Geants you have to win a spot through a lottery. Now, to attempt these elevations and distance is a feat in itself. Congratulations, Dave, for running and being smart to know when to stop safely and to Kristen who is his greatest supporter. Live Timing for the Tors has Dave checking into Gressoney at 3 days, 10:44:06 hours, which I believe is at about 149 miles.
The new Core Community Fitness made a big move of equipment from Cranmore last weekend and things are looking great. Projected opening is Sept. 28. You will see some familiar workout weights, machines, signs and faces at Core. Core Community Fitness is located behind Pete’s Restaurant Equipment and Lupine on East Conway Road. For more information, go to the Facebook page on information to join the club.
The White Mountain Miler Half Marathon, Half-of-the-Half, Half Marathon Relay and 5K, is set to run on Sept. 21. There is still time to sign up for any of the race distances but if you’re not running, please consider volunteering for this townwide event. All proceeds from the race go to the White Mountain Miler Scholarship Fund. For more information, go to wmmhalf.com or contact email@example.com to volunteer.
The 2019 U.S. Mountain Running Championships is being held on Sept. 29th at Waterville Valley. A 7-mile race up and down the mountain is on tap, and the race is brought to you by Acidotic Racing. New White Mountain Miler member and teacher at Kennett Middle School, Corey Dowe, is looking to make the team this year. More information on the Waterville race, go to acidoticracing.com.
Please be aware that hunting season starts September 15. Please wear your best orange outfit when out playing.
Last week I challenged runners and walkers of the Mount Washington Valley to “Clean a Mile,” through Oct. 1. We have our favorite routes for exercise or maybe you drive a route that could use some work. I challenge you to take one mile and clean up the road or trail. You will be responsible for taking care of said trash.
You get a full-body workout “plogging” and receive thanks from me and the valley and the environment for making this an even more beautiful area. I’ve heard from one person so far who wishes to remain nameless. Her experience was heightened when a neighbor came out of her home and offered to take her already full bag of trash from her to lighten her load. What a wonderful community we live in.
“I could feel my anger dissipating as the miles went by — you can't run and stay mad!” — Kathrine Switzer, first numbered woman to run the Boston Marathon.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs
All of the events listed are for runners and walkers. See more events at whitemountainmilers.com and sign up early for extra savings on many races.
• Every Wednesday — Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk, 7 a.m. run, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
• Tuesday until darkness comes early: Group runs, timing on your own, Whitaker Woods, North Conway, 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 14: Loon Echo Trek 10K, Bridgton, loonecholandtrust.org.
• Saturday, Sept. 14: Kilkenny Ridge Race, Stark, rockhopperraces.com.
• Saturday, Sept. 21: White Mountain Milers Half/Half-of-the-Half/Relay and 5K Race, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Sunday, Sept. 22: Kismet Cliff Run, ultrasignup.com.
• Saturday, Sept. 28: 100 Acre Challenge 5k, Believe in Books, Intervale.
• Saturday, Sept. 28: the second annual Be the One Trail Running Festival, Littleton, runreg.com.
• Sunday, Sept. 29: Waterville Valley Mountain Race, acidoticracing.com.
• Saturday, Oct. 5-6: Bubba’s Backyard Ultra, runthewhite.com/ultrasignup.com.
• Saturday, Oct. 19: River Fire 5K Run/Walk, Berlin, coosfamilyhealth.org/racemenu.com.
• Sunday, Oct. 27: Randolph Ramble 10K, Randolph randolphramble.com.
• Saturday, Nov. 9: Blackout 5K/10K Mountain Race, Jackson, runthewhites.com.
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner, and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, and skier, with an office at 50 Seavey Street, in North Conway. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org See you on the run.