I stopped paying attention to any new music by the late 1970s, so needless to say, when any of our staff members start discussing a particular singer or group, I’m usually at a loss as to who or what they are talking about. Today, I happened to be discussing music with one of our younger employees who prefers heavy metal and punk rock from the 1980s — something I never warmed up to, even in my youth. During our conversation, she told me about a Swedish power metal band called Sabaton whose main lyrical themes are based on war, historical battles and acts of heroism. Now THAT sounds rather interesting. I may just have to Google those young men and have a listen.
It’s June, and I promised Karen I would remind everyone that our next dine-to-donate fundraiser will be taking place on Wednesday, June 19, at Chef’s Bistro. Their restaurant is located right on Main Street in North Conway just past the lights on the left heading north. We receive a portion of all food sales made between the hours of 4 and 9 p.m. so mark your calendars, call some friends and meet us at Chef’s Bistro on June 19.
Don’t forget to check the schedule of events below or go to gibsoncenter.org. Have a wonderful weekend and God bless.
Tuesday, June 11: Strength, balance and stretch class starts at 10 a.m. in the activity room. Lunch will also be served at our Silver Lake Landing meal site at noon today, followed by the knitting club. ServiceLink provides assistance with Medicare Part D. Call (603) 356-3231 to set up an appointment.
Wednesday, June 12: Game Day begins at 12:30 p.m. in the activity room. The Quilt Club meets in the social room at 10 a.m.
Thursday, June 13: Tai ji quan class Moving for Better Balance begins at 11:30 a.m. at Silver Lake Landing. Belly dance class begins at 9 a.m. in the activity room. Chair exercise starts at 10:30 a.m. in the activity room. Peer support for caregivers meet in the social room at 12:30 p.m. Board the bus at 12:30 p.m. for the 100 Day Challenge Walk. Tai ji quan better balance class starts at 3:30 p.m. in the activity room.
Friday, June 14: Today is Flag Day. Strength, balance and stretch class starts at 10 a.m. in the activity room. There will be a Father’s Day luncheon and ice cream social starting at 11:30 a.m. today. The Friday Painters group will meet at 12:30 p.m. in the activity room.
Is living a healthier, more active life your personal goal? Come join a Gibson exercise class.
Strength, balance and stretch classes are held on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 to 11 a.m.
Chair exercise classes are held on Monday and Thursday mornings from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Belly dance classes with Joanne Bailey, Thursdays from 9 to 10 a.m. The cost is $20 for six classes.
• Tai ji quan Moving for Better Balance: Classes are Monday and Thursday at Gibson at 3:30 p.m. in the activity room. New class started, at Silver Lake Landing Monday and Thursday in the morning.
• ServiceLink medicare counseling. Third Wednesday of the month. Call (603) 356-3231 for an appointment.
• Peer Support Caregivers program every Thursday from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• Learn to Knit: Tuesdays after lunch at Silver Lake Landing. Beginners welcome.
• Quilting: The second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. All are welcome.
• Veteran’s Coffee: A chance to spend time with fellow veterans. Meets the first and third Wednesday of the month at 10 a.m.
• Friday Painters: A different subject each week. Bring your own supplies. Meet after lunch on Fridays in activity room.
Payment is due when you sign up for a trip. Checks are not cashed until the day of the trip. Call (603) 356-3231 to sign up.
• Old Orchard Beach concerts: Carpenters June 25; Beatles July 9; The Diamonds Aug. 6; Simon & Garfunkel Aug. 13. The cost is $32 for each show.
• Norwegian Cruise to Bermuda: Oct. 18-25. Price varies on cabin, inside, outside or balcony.
• Peru: Ancient Land of Mysteries: Jan. 18-25, 2020; $4,399 per person double occupancy.
• Cape Cod: Rhododendron Festival; Martha’s Vineyard; 400th anniversary of the arrival of the Mayflower. May 4-8, 2020
• Sunny Portugal: April 14-23, 2020; $3,899 per person double occupancy.
Menu: Tuesday, baked black oak ham; Wednesday, Italian meatloaf; Thursday, French cassoulet; Friday, bierock pie.