The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department responded to numerous rescue calls over the weekend.

• On Friday, a Canadian man was rescued on Mount Chocorua in Albany on Friday after suffering severe injuries in a fall.

Clifford Daly, 66 of Ottawa, Ontario, was descending from the summit with his wife and three other hikers when he fell down a steep section of rock and dropped about 10 feet to the ground severely injuring his arm, both wrists and ribs.

The group called for help shortly before 2 p.m.

Conservation officers and members of the U.S. Forest Service responded.

The accident happened near the summit of Chocorua. Clifford was able to continue walking down the trail, but was more than 4 miles from the trailhead.

Rescuers met the group about 3 miles from the trailhead.

They treated Daly’s injuries and assisted him the rest of the way down.

Rescuers said Daly showed a tremendous amount of fortitude as it was clear to rescuers that he had suffered multiple fractures.

He arrived back at the trailhead shortly before 7 p.m.

He was then treated by members of the Conway Ambulance Service who transported him the Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further treatment.

Fish and Game officials said that while Daly and his group were well-prepared for the conditions and had purchased state Hike Safe cards, it is important to note that daylight hours are dwindling and temperatures are falling quickly as the sun sets.

Winter conditions will soon be present in the mountains and those venturing out must be prepared with the proper clothing and equipment to protect themselves from the elements.

Go to for a list of recommended hiking equipment.

• On Saturday afternoon, rescuers assisted a hiker who was injured near the summit of Mount Carrigain in Crawford Notch.

Jeffrey McNally, 45, of Greenland was hiking with his wife and two daughters about a half-mile from the summit of Mount Carrigain on the Signal Ridge Trail when McNally slipped and fell, resulting in an injured shoulder.

Hikers on the trail encountered McNally and rendered assistance.

Due to the nature of his injury, McNally was unsure if he would be able to walk the four miles back to his vehicle.

He had no cellphone signal so he requested other hikers call 911 for assistance when they received signal.

The accident occurred at approximately 12:30 p.m., and a hiker was able to call 911 at 1 p.m. from the summit of Mt. Carrigain.

Fish and Game officers responded, reaching McNally and his family on the Signal Ridge trail about 2 miles from the trailhead.

They assisted him back to the trailhead parking area arriving at 5:30 p.m.

McNally’s wife drove him to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for evaluation and treatment.

• A Massachussetts woman was rescued on the Carter Moriah Trail in Gorham on Sunday after she experienced a medical event.

According to a press release from Fish and Game, Samantha Roderigues, 26, of Fall River, Mass., was hiking on the trail when she became sick on the trail. Afterward, she became weak and was unable to continue hiking on her own.

One of her friends made a 911 call for help at about 3 p.m.

Fish and Game conservation officers, volunteers from Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, Lakes Region Search and Rescue, and Appalachian Mountain Club responded to the 19 Mile Brook trailhead in preparation for a lengthy carry-out.

Once volunteers reached Rodrigues, after some food, water and rest, she was assisted approximately 3 miles down the Carter Dome trail to the 19 Mile Brook trailhead, arriving at 7:30 p.m.

Roderigues did not request medical attention and chose to leave in a personal vehicle.

 • Also on Sunday, two young hikers called for assistance on Mount Whiteface, located in the Sandwich Mountain Range in Waterville Valley after they realized they would not make it back down the trail before dark.

At about 4:45 p.m., James Avery, 22, of Belmont and his 17-year-old hiking companion called 911 Dispatch from the Blueberry Ledge trail on Mount Whiteface, requesting assistance.

The pair had just summited Whiteface and were returning down the trail when they realized they would not make it back before dark. They had no lights and were unprepared to spend the night.

Fish and Game was notified, and decided to send up two conservation officers due to rain and lowering temperatures.

They found Avery and his companion on the trail at 8:15 p.m. provided them with lights, food, water and additional clothing, and escorted them back to the parking area.

Fish and Game officials said the incident is a good reminder to all people recreating in the outdoors to plan appropriately when hiking.

When hiking in the mountains always carry appropriate equipment for unexpected situations and be prepared to spend the night if necessary. Having appropriate gear aids in safety.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.