JACKSON — The mountain hamlet of Jackson has long been a skiing center, with a rope tow opening at then Moody’s Farm (now Black Mountain) in 1935 and Carroll P. Reed establishing his ski school in what is now the Wildcat Tavern in December 1936.

Ski trails were also cut on Doublehead Mountain, overlooking Black Mountain. The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Wildcat Trail in 1933, and Wildcat Mountain opened on the White Mountain National Forest in 1958. It is now owned by Vail Resorts, along with nearby Attitash in Bartlett.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.