Most people would agree that vacations always seem to go by too quickly and that heading back to work can be rather difficult. While the first part of that statement applies to most of us, the second part may not. I for one, do not mind going back to work after my vacations because I happen to be one of those fortunate people who enjoy the work they do and really like their job. Happy autumn.
We are already into the second week of October, Columbus Day is just around the corner and the Gibson Center will be holding our final Artisan Craft Fair. The fair will take place on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 12 and 13, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Karen has gathered a wonderful variety of crafters from all over the New England area. You’ll find pottery and art, fine jewelry, stained glass, Adirondack chairs, specialty foods and so much more.
The Gibson Center is contracted by the state to operate the Meals on Wheels program for all of northern Carroll county and all proceeds raised from the fair benefit this program. We thank all of you who have supported Gibson over the years and hope you will help us continue this vital service.
You can find us on the corner of Main and Grove streets in downtown North Conway directly across the street from the new community center. Street parking is available or use the town parking lot conveniently located right next door. See you on the front lawn.
Finally, I’m told we need volunteers in the thrift shop as well as Meals on Wheels drivers for our Madison, Bartlett and Jackson routes. If you have two or three hours available during the week, call (603) 356-3231 and ask for Becky or Karen.
Don’t forget to check the schedule of events below or go to our website at gibsoncenter.org for other programs and events taking place this month. Have a wonderful weekend and God bless.
Monday, Oct. 7: Tai ji quan moving for better balance starts at 10:30 a.m. at Silver Lake Landing. Chair exercise class starts at 10:30 a.m. in the activity room. Word Search Fun Day will meet at 12:30 p.m. in the social room. Tai ji quan moving for better balance starts at 3:30 p.m. in the Gibson activity room.
Tuesday Oct. 8: Strength, balance and stretch classes resume today at 10 a.m. in the activity room. Lunch is also served at our Silver Lake Landing meal site at noon today. The Sip-N-Paint class will meet at 12:30 p.m. in the activity room.
Wednesday, Oct. 9: Board the bus at 9 a.m. for the Lobster Shack at Two Lights. The Quilt Club will meet at 10 a.m. in the activity room. Game Day begins at 12:30 in the activity room.
Thursday, Oct. 10: “Gibson Turns 40” – tea & cake on the terrace at 12:30 p.m. Belly Dance Class starts at 9 a.m. in the activity room. Tai ji quan class moving for better balance begins at 10:30 a.m. at Silver Lake Landing.
Chair exercise starts at 10:30 a.m. in the activity room. Caregiver Peer Support Group will meet in the social room at 12:30 p.m. Tai ji quan class moving for better balance starts at 3:30 p.m. in the activity room.
Friday, Oct. 11: One on One Computer Help w/ Quentin is available today. Call (603) 356-3231 for an appointment. Strength, balance and stretch class meets at 10 a.m. in the activity room. A London-Paris Slide show will take place at 12:30 p.m. in the activity room.
Sunday, Oct. 13: Board the bus at 11:30 a.m. for the Portland Symphony Orchestra Pops Beatles Concert. Bring a bag lunch.
Artisan Craft Fair this Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 12 and 13
Is living a healthier, more active life your personal goal? Come join a Gibson exercise class.
Strength, balance and stretch classes are held every Tuesday and Friday.
Chair exercise classes are held on Monday and Thursday mornings from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Belly dance classes with Joanne Bailey, Thursdays from 9 to 10 a.m. The cost is $20 for six classes.
• Tai ji quan moving for better dalance: Classes are Monday and Thursday at Gibson at 3:30 p.m. in the activity room. New class started, at Silver Lake Landing Monday and Thursday in the morning.
• Strength, balance and stretch classes resume Sept. 3. Tuesdays and Fridays 10 to 11 a.m.
• Service Link Medicare Counseling. Third Wednesday of the month. Call (603) 356-3231 for an appointment.
• Caregivers Peer Support program every Thursday from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• Veteran’s Coffee: A chance to spend time with fellow veterans. Meets the first and third Wednesday of the month at 10 a.m.
• Learn to Knit: Tuesdays after lunch at Silver Lake Landing. Beginners welcome.
• Quilting: The second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. All are welcome.
• Friday Painters: a different subject each week. Bring your own supplies. Meet after lunch on Fridays in activity room.
Payment is due when you sign up for a trip. Checks are not cashed until the day of the trip. Call (603) 356-3231 to sign up.
• Veteran’s Road Trip: VA home tour Oct. 16 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• LeAnne Rimes live: Sunday, Oct. 27. The cost is $85. Dinner is on your own at Granite Steak & Grille.
• A.C.Gilbert Heritage Museum: Tuesday, Nov. 5. See a wonderful display of childhood educational toys. Lunch on own at George’s Seafood. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. $20
• Chutter’s and Littleton: Wednesday, Nov. 13. Lunch on your own in Littleton. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost is $18.
• Zimmerman House, Currier Museum and Lunch: Nov. 20 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The cost is $66 (includes lunch and tour).
Riverdance: Jan. 14, 2020. Tickets cost $85 and are still available.
Menu: Monday, French cassoulet; Tuesday, franks and baked beans; Wednesday, pasta Bolognese; Thursday, Polish hunter’s stew; Friday, cheese omelets and sausage links.