BERLIN — Firefighters were able to contain an electrical fire at a Main Street home Sunday night in part due to the action of people at the Service Credit Union Heritage Park.

Berlin Fire Chief John Lacasse said people attending an event at the park noticed smoke coming from the eaves of a single family residence at 1041 Main St. and called emergency response shortly after 7:30 p.m. The park is across the street from the house.

Lacasse said the family living in the house had noticed a slight smell of smoke but thought it was because they had just plugged in the air conditioner. The fire chief said the family did not realize the smoke was coming from upstairs.

It took firefighters a few minutes to find the fire in the attic and then, using portable extinguishers containing foam, were able to extinguish the fire.

Lacasse said there was some smoke and water damage to the house but said most of the damage was limited to the attic. He said the five person on-duty crew was able to handle the fire without calling for additional help. But Lacasse said if the fire had gone unnoticed, it could have been a different situation.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.