CONCORD — The state Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Public Health Services is introducing My Life, My Quit, a tobacco cessation service for teens who want to quit using electronic cigarettes, liquid nicotine vape products, cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco (chew).
Teens who enroll in this free and confidential service will work with a coach who listens and understands their unique needs, provides personalized support, and helps them build a quit plan to become free from nicotine. Enrollments are completed online at mylifemyquit.com or by calling or texting “Start My Quit” to (855) 891-9989.
My Life, My Quit coaches receive extensive training as tobacco treatment specialists through an accredited program, with additional training on adolescents from a psychologist and professor at Stanford University who specializes in adolescent tobacco prevention.
“According to the 2017 New Hampshire Youth Risk Behavior Survey, e-cigarettes are now the most commonly used tobacco product among youth,” said DPHS Director Lisa Morris. “This puts a new generation at risk for nicotine addiction. Nicotine, no matter how it is delivered, is unsafe for youth and young adults and can harm their developing brains. My Life, My Quit combines best practices for tobacco cessation adapted to teens.”
My Life, My Quit provides New Hampshire teens access to resources for quitting, including:
• Free and confidential help from a quit coach specially trained to listen to teens, help teens navigate social situations that involve tobacco or vaping and find healthy ways to cope with stress.
• Five coaching sessions via live text messaging or by phone on a dedicated toll-free number (855-891-9989) or online chat.
• Dedicated website at mylifemyquit.com with online enrollment, live chat with a coach, information about vaping and tobacco, and activities to support quitting and stress relief.
• On-going text messages for encouragement throughout the quit process.
• Certificate of program completion.
For additional information on the New Hampshire My Life, My Quit program, contact the DHHS Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Program at TPCP@dhhs.nh.gov or (603) 271-6891.