LANCASTER — Jury selection in the domestic violence case against former state Sen. Jeffrey Woodburn was continued last week and it appears the trial will be pushed back until at least March.
The parties were in Coos Superior Court Friday for jury selection as scheduled. But the case was bumped because the court schedule could not accommodate the number of trials before it for January and February.
Jury selection in the case will be rescheduled by the court.
“Obviously we’re disappointed,” said Attorney Donna Brown, who represents Woodburn.
At last week’s final pretrial conference, Woodburn said he is anxious for his trial to get underway so he can tell his side of the story.
The parties are scheduled to be in Coos Superior Court on Jan. 21 for a hearing on motions that seek to exclude certain evidence from coming before the jury.
Woodburn was arrested in August 2018 on misdemeanor charges of domestic violence, simple assault and criminal mischief counts stemming from a series of alleged altercations with his former fiancee, Emily Jacobs.
Both parties agreed to move the case out of circuit court to Coos Superior Court, noting a guilty verdict in circuit court was likely to be appealed to the higher court.
To avoid the possibility of having to repeat what is expected to be emotional and difficult testimony for the parties and witnesses, the case was moved to Coos Superior Court last year.
Assistant Attorney General Geoffrey Ward could not be reached for comment by press time.