You still have time to get to North Conway’s Schouler Park to sign up for the Stephen Siller 5K Tunnel to Towers Race today, July 13. All proceeds will benefit the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation, including our Building for America's Bravest program, which builds specially adapted, custom-designed smart homes for our nation's most catastrophically injured service members.
Registration starts at 8 a.m. and race time is 9 a.m. Go to tritek.com for more information.
Walking Boss. If you’ve skied Loon Mountain you know this name. If you ran the Loon Mountain Race, you will never forget this trail. Over 1,000 runners took on the challenge of the Loon Mountain Race last Sunday, and it was a beautiful day.
Lee Berube of Syracuse, N.Y., took overall top honors in 53:19.
Rena Schwartz of Middlesex, Vt., took first place for the women in 1:04:01.
Leslie O’Dell of Albany finished in 1:13:36 in 13th place for the women. Other local women and White Mountain Milers were Conway’s Kim Proulx, 1:28:42; Andrea Leonard, 1:36:30; Sue Nickerson, 1:38:52; Ashley Benes, 1:39:23; Corey Hempel, 1:42:32; Colleen Nolan, 1:50:23; and Ginger Rober, 1:56:12.
In the men’s race, locals and Milers, Richard Fargo of Chatham finished in 1:15:40; Ronald Robichaud of Glen, 1:22:22; Rich Alden, 1:23:35; Fryeburg’s Andrew Clear, 1:36:17; Dave McDermott, 1:44:51; Douglas Jones, 1:52:36; Kevin Regner, 1:55;56; Rich Leonard, 1:56:18; Jim Hoburg, 1:57:14; and Rich Miller, 2:17:52.
Last year, there was a marriage proposal at the Loon Mountain Race. This year, that couple married on Friday and ran the race on Sunday. Did anyone ever say running isn’t romantic?
For more information on the race and results, go to loonmountainrace.com.
If you are looking to purchase a #jimspiration shirt worn by many White Mountain Milers at the Cranmore Mountain Race, go to the White Mountain Milers website for ordering information with Joe LaRue. Thank you, Joe.
The 5K Walk/Run at Danforth Bay to benefit Freedom Elementary School took place June 30. The weather forecast kept numbers down, but $237 was donated to the school. Top runners were Ray Kwiatek in 24:58, and Adrienne Cook in 27:28. Top walkers were Rick Wales, 41:33, and Reese Kwiatek, 50:80.
The next race is this Sunday, July 14, to benefit Angels and Elves. Go to danforthbay.com/5Ktripleplay for more information.
Save the date: Tuesday, July 16. Mark your calendars to attend the White Mountain Milers and Eastern Mountain Sports Trail Series and recharge at Flatbread Company Pizza in North Conway. A portion of all pizza sales will be donated to the Gretchen B. Hatch White Mountain Milers Scholarship Fund. There will a raffle table at the event and we hope to see you there.
There were about 80 finishers again in this week’s White Mountain Milers and Eastern Mountain Sports Whitaker Woods Trail Run. Go to White Mountain Milers on Facebook for weekly results.
The run is free but everyone is encouraged to become a member of the White Mountain Milers. Membership is $10 for students, $15 for individual or $20 for a family. The membership fees help to pay for the insurance which covers Milers Events like the Trail Run.
White Mountain Miler clothing will be on sale at the weekly event and these proceeds go to our Gretchen B. Hatch Scholarship Fund.
Go to whitemountainmilers.com for more information on the fun runs, including results.
The Bucks for Bernie 12-Hour Relay takes place on July 20 in Whitaker Woods and is a 12-hour event. The course is a one-mile loop with a transition area loaded with snacks and drinks. There will be a raffle and race day registration is also available.
You can form a team of two to five people or run solo. There are no minimum miles to run so you can run one loop or continue for 12 hours. All teams are in one category. Team members may run in any order transitions must be completed in the designated transition area.
Top male and female solo runners will receive a $75 gift card; the winning team will receive a $50 gift card per team member; second place teams will receive $25 gift cards per team member. Longest distance covered (most amount of loops completed) determines winners.
A loop must be fully completed in order to be counted. All runners must wear their assigned race number while running.
All proceeds from the race go to Bernie’s Kids. Coach Bernie Livingston needs to keep his growing Kennett High School track and field and cross-country kids in uniforms. There is day-of-event registration or register early. Go to whitemountainmilers.com or runreg.com to sign up now.
Friday Night Vertical races at Black Mountain continue with this week being the seventh of the nine night races. Brought to you by Andrew Drummond of Run the Whites, there are three different courses to run, and it’s open to runners, walkers, dogs, racers and hikers.
There were 32 racers this past week and just as many hikers. For only $5 per week, you get to go up Black Mountain, food and raffles after, and plenty of social time. Check out runthewhites.com for info and results.
Annie Burke is looking for your old running T-shirts. Annie will turn your old shirts into bags for shoppers at the Tamworth Farmers Market. You can drop the shirts off at the Tamworth Market any Saturday or bring them to the Tuesday Night Run and Marianne Jackson will take them for Annie, If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
“You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So… Get on your way!" — Dr. Seuss.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs
All of the events listed are for runners and walkers. See more events at whitemountainmilers.com and sign up early for extra savings on many races.
• Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk, 7 a.m. run, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
• Thursdays: Salomon Spring Trail Series, greatglentrails.com.
• Wednesdays: Chi Running No Pain, All Gain Training, memorialpophealth.coursestorm.com.
• Thursdays: Tuckerman Brewery Pub Run, runthewhites on Facebook.
• Friday’s Black Mountain Vertical Series, runthewhites on Facebook.
• Tuesdays through Aug. 13: White Mountain Milers free Whitaker Woods 5K Run/2 Mile Walk 5:30 p.m., whitemountainmilers.com.
• Sunday, July 7: Loon Mountain Race, loonmountainrace.com.
• Saturday, July 13: Tunnel to Towers 5K, North Conway, tritekevents.com.
• Sunday, July 14: Danforth Bay 5K for Angels and Elves, danforthbay.com/5ktripleplay.
• Tuesday, July 16: White Mountain Milers Scholarship Fundraiser with Flatbread Company North Conway, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Saturday, July 20: Bucks for Bernie, North Conway, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Thursday, Aug. 1: I’ll Be Dipped Prediction Run, Madison, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Tuesday, Aug. 6: Jim Wellinghurst 5K Madison (more information soon).
• Saturday, Aug. 10: Freedom Old Home Week 15th Anniversary 5K Race, freedomoldhomeweek.net/5k-road-race.
• Saturday, Aug. 10: Dole 3 Miler, Fryeburg, dole3miler.com.
• Saturday, Aug. 28: Kennett Cross-Country Challenge, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Saturday, Aug. 31: Injury Prevention Workshop, backcountrybliss.com.
• Saturday, Sept. 21: White Mountain Milers Half/Half-of-the-Half/Relay and 5K Race, whitemountainmilers.com.
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner, and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddleboarder, and skier, with an office at 50 Seavey Street, in North Conway. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run.