Friday Night Vertical’s first race at Black Mountain was May 31 with over 50 participants. Run the Whites reported: “Course feedback was great so I think we'll alternate between a couple routes this season and continue to work on the trails. If anyone has some time to volunteer midweek let me know.”
Get in touch with Andrew Drummond at email@example.com if you could help or for more information.
The Cranmore Mountain Race took place last Sunday with over 200 finishers. Proceeds from the race went to North Country Cares and along with that, people brought donations of sports/duffle bags, running shoes and clothing to help out the great work that NCC does.
There were 11 finishers in the 5K or one-lap race, including Milers Kerry and Dave Oedel of Macon, Ga. and Madison in 53:30.
Charlie Cobb, 20, of Waterville, Maine, was the winner in 29:53, while Amy Barnaby, 48, of Lincoln was the fastest female in 38:58.
In the 10K double loop, Albany’s Leslie O’Dell finished in 1:02:23; Richard Fargo of Chatham, 1:05:25; Tim Charboneau, Center Conway, 1:07:12; Bob Chor, Conway, 1:18:07; Victoria Weigold, Glen, 1:18:29; Eva Johnson, Sweden, Maine, 1:19:07; Robert Hill, Madison, 1:21:35; Sarah Gheifi, North Conway, 1:31:41; Ginger Rober, North Conway, 1:40:49; and Julie Hill, Madison, 1:42:15.
Ryan Wooley, 30, of Brighton, Mass., was the overall winner 51:14, while Jessica Marion, 32, of Brunswick, Maine, was the fastest female in 56:32.
Check out over 4,000 photos by Joe Viger on Facebook or Acidotic Racing of the mountain race. The fog and beauty of the woods and mountain are beautiful. Full results may be found on mtecresults.com.
Congratulations to recipients of the 2019 Gretchen B. Hatch Scholarships this year. The scholarships are the main focus of the White Mountain Milers and have been awarded to local high school graduates since 1990. This year’s scholarships were awarded to Kennett seniors Chris Caputo, Jordan Belle-Isle, Kaitlyn Fay, Danielle Salomon and Cody Bryant. Congratulations to all our 2019 graduates.
There were 90 participants last Thursday in the Great Glen 2019 Salomon Spring Trail Running/Walking Series. The lengths are anywhere from 1 mile to 3.7 miles and age groups vary. There are four more weeks to compete. For more info go to greatglentrails.com.
Did you find a team yet or are you running solo? Sign up now as a solo runner or form a two to five person team for the Bucks for Bernie 12-Hour Relay. The race takes place on July 20 in Whitaker Woods and is a 12-hour event. The course is a one mile loop, the first mile of the Tuesday Trail Run Series and all proceeds from the race go to Bernie’s Kids. You know Bernie. No, not the politician, but the Coach Bernie Livingston of the Oval at Kennett High School. Bernie needs to keep his growing track and field and cross-country kids in uniforms. Go to runreg.com to sign up now.
It’s here — summer officially starts when the White Mountain Milers Summer Trail Series begins on Tuesday, June 11. The run/walk starts at 5:30 p.m. at Whitaker Woods, but come early to sign up, get your number for the entire summer series, meet with friends old and new and purchase your Miler clothing.
Just announced is this year's sponsor, Eastern Mountain Sports, for this year for the free run/walk 5K Series. The run is free, but everyone is encouraged to become a White Mountain Miler member. For only $10 for students, $15 for individual or $20 for a family, the membership fees help to pay for the insurance which covers Milers events like the trail run.
Rumor has it that John McAlpine and Cory Schwartz, the founders of the fun run at Whitaker Woods, will be at this first run of the summer series. These are the guys who started it all back in 1978 and whom you can curse or thank when you’re out on the course. John attended one run last year and was just amazed at how many people came out to run and how the fun runs have continued for 41 years!
Go to whitemountainmilers.com for more information on the fun runs.
July 31 is the next cut-off date to save money on registration for the White Mountain Milers Half Marathon, Half of the Half, Relay, 5K and Youth Dash. The race takes place on Saturday, Sept. 21 and is going to be a full day of fun. For more information, go to wmmhalf.com.
“Today I will run for pure, absolute joy.” — Lopez Lamong, a Sudanese-born American, one of the “Lost Boys of Sudan,” Olympian and founder of “4 South Sudan: Provide Clean Water, Education, Health Care and Nutrition” to the world’s most vulnerable people in South Sudan.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs
All of the events listed are for runners and walkers. See more events at whitemountainmilers.com and sign up early for extra savings on many races.
• Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk, 7 a.m. run, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
• Thursdays: Salomon Spring Trail Series, greatglentrails.com.
• Wednesdays: Chi Running No Pain, All Gain Training, memorialpophealth.coursestorm.com.
• Thursdays: Tuckerman Brewery Pub Run, runthewhites on Facebook.
• Friday’s Black Mountain Vertical Series began May 31, runthewhites on Facebook.
• Tuesdays beginning June 11-Aug 13: White Mountain Milers free Whitaker Woods 5K Run/2 Mile Walk 5:30 p.m., whitemountainmilers.com.
• Saturday, June 8: Chocorua Mountain Race, rockhopperraces.com.
• Saturday, June 8: Black Fly in My Eye 10- or 3-mile run/relay, greatglentrails.com.
• Saturday, June 15: Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race, mountwashingonautoroad.com.
• Sunday, June 30: Cranmore Hill Climb 5K, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Sunday, June 30: Danforth Bay 5K Run/Walk to benefit Freedom Elementary School, danforthbay.com/5kTriplePlay.
• Saturday, July 13: Tunnel to Towers 5K, North Conway, tritekevents.com.
• Saturday, July 20: Bucks for Bernie, North Conway, whitemountainmilers.com,
• Thursday, Aug. 1: I’ll Be Dipped Prediction Run, Madison, whitemountainmilers.com.
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner, and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddle boarder, and skier, with an office at 50 Seavey Street, in North Conway. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org See you on the run.