There were about 50 finishers in the this week’s White Mountain Milers and Eastern Mountain Sports Whitaker Woods Trail Run Tuesday night. As Tim Livingston said, “Now we know who the real runners are,” as the rain kept coming down. It looked like no one wanted to leave the shelter of the pop-up tent or their umbrellas, but we did. The rain just made for some better mud on the trails and new stories to tell.
At this point, prize eligibility for completing six of the nine weeks means you can’t miss any more runs to be in the running. The run is free but everyone is encouraged to become a member of the White Mountain Milers. Fee are $10 for students, $15 for individual or $20 for a family. The membership fees help to pay for the insurance which covers Milers events like the trail run. White Mountain Miler clothing will be on sale at the weekly event and these proceeds go to our Gretchen B. Hatch Scholarship Fund. Go to whitemountainmilers.com for more information on the fun runs including results.
Are you running in the 32nd annual Cranmore Hill Climb 5K on Sunday, June 30? The race takes place on the access road to the top of Cranmore and you can run back down or take the chairlift. The views are amazing from Cranmore and if you ski the mountain, you need to check it out in the summer and see what you ski over.
The race is a tribute to Jim Soroka who we remember fondly and always with some laughs. The Jim Soroka Spirit Award winner will be announced during the race awards. The race takes off at 9 a.m. and day of race registration is available. For more information, go to whitemountainmilers.com.
Save the date: Tuesday, July 16. Mark your calendars to attend the White Mountain Milers and Eastern Mountain Sports Trail Series and recharge at Flatbreads where a portion of sales for each pizza sold will be donated to the White Mountain Milers Scholarship Fund. There will also be a raffle with prizes like Pack-a-Paw Rescue Harness, massages, White Mountain Milers Half Marathon entries and more. Dinner starts at 4 p.m. Everyone loves pizza, so come to Flatbread with the Milers.
Run the Whites Friday Night Vertical has had some amazing weather and the views from atop Black Mountain are amazing. Runners, walkers and dogs all enjoyed the vertical and you can join any Friday; 6 p.m. for registration and early start, $5 per week and 7 p.m. race start. Food and raffle included. Check out Run the Whites on Facebook for more information and photos.
The Bucks for Bernie 12-Hour Relay is gearing up. The race takes place on July 20 in Whitaker Woods and is a 12-hour event, down from the previous 24-hour relays.
The course is a one-mile loop with a transition area loaded with snacks and drinks. There will be a raffle and race day registration will be available.
Top male and female solo runners will receive a $75 gift card; the winning team will receive $50 gift cards per team members; second place team will receive $25 gift cards per team members. Longest distance covered (most amount of loops completed) determines winners. A loop must be fully completed in order to be counted. All runners must wear their assigned race number while running.
A team is comprised of two to five runners, same-sex or co-ed. All teams are in one category. Team members may run in any order and for any amount of loops. Only one team runner on the course at time; all transitions must be completed in the designated transition area. Solo runners are also welcome.
All proceeds from the race go to Bernie’s Kids. Coach Bernie Livingston needs to keep his growing Kennett High School track and field and cross-country kids in uniforms. Go to whitemountainmilers.com or runreg.com to sign up now!
Congratulation to Steve Dowling of Kearsarge who competed in the Bay of Fundy Half Marathon in Lubec, Maine, last weekend. Steve visited with former runner and White Mountain Miler President Gary Howard and Pat Fry and finished the international marathon in 3:14:07. This race is unique in that you have your passport checked the day before the race, board the bus on race morning in the United States, depart the bus and line up for the race start in Canada and finish in the U.S. border crossing has never been so much fun with high-fives awarded by the guards.
For more stories from the race, go to bayoffundymarathon.com.
“Let’s wake up super early and go run really far.” — Psychopaths.
Upcoming Races and Weekly Runs
All of the events listed are for runners and walkers. See more events at whitemountainmilers.com and sign up early for extra savings on many races.
• Every Wednesday, Breakfast Run: 6:45 a.m. walk, 7 a.m. run, with 4-mile and 3-mile loops. Meet behind the Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce. Always followed by breakfast.
• Thursdays: Salomon Spring Trail Series, greatglentrails.com.
• Wednesdays: Chi Running No Pain, All Gain Training, memorialpophealth.coursestorm.com.
• Thursdays: Tuckerman Brewery Pub Run, runthewhites on Facebook.
• Friday’s Black Mountain Vertical Series, runthewhites on Facebook.
• Tuesdays through Aug 13: White Mountain Milers free Whitaker Woods 5K Run/2 Mile Walk 5:30 p.m., whitemountainmilers.com.
• Sunday, June 30: Cranmore Hill Climb 5K, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Sunday, June 30: Danforth Bay 5K Run/Walk to benefit Freedom Elementary School, danforthbay.com/5kTriplePlay.
• Sunday, July 7: Loon Mountain Race, loonmountainrace.com.
• Saturday, July 13: Tunnel to Towers 5K, North Conway, tritekevents.com.
• Tuesday, July 16: White Mountain Milers Scholarship Fundraiser with Flatbread Company North Conway, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Saturday, July 20: Bucks for Bernie, North Conway, whitemountainmilers.com,
• Thursday, Aug. 1: I’ll Be Dipped Prediction Run, Madison, whitemountainmilers.com.
• Saturday, Aug. 10: Freedom Old Home Week 15th Anniversary 5K Race, freedomoldhomeweek.net/5k-road-race.
• Saturday, Aug. 10: Dole 3 Miler, Fryeburg, dole3miler.com.
Donna Cormier is a licensed massage therapist, avid runner, and walker, cyclist, hiker, paddle boarder, and skier, with an office at 50 Seavey Street, in North Conway. For more running information, ideas, contributions, race reviews and results, reach Donna at email@example.com See you on the run.