A man with a grudge against the Capital Gazette of Annapolis, Md., opened fire at the newspaper Thursday, killing four journalists and a sales assistant. Jarrod W. Ramos, 38, of Laurel, Md., was charged with five counts of murder and held without bail. Neither the reporter nor the editor behind the story that fueled Ramos’ rage still works for the paper, whose editor stated after the shootings, “There are no 40-hour weeks, no big paydays — just a passion for telling stories from our community.” Police termed the massacre “a targeted attack” on the newspaper, and the killings have brought renewed attention to statements made by President Donald Trump in which he declared the media “the enemy of the American people.” The Student Press Law Center in Washington, D.C., issued a statement Friday condemning “the recent anti-media rhetoric (that) creates an enabling environment for violence against journalists.”

This week’s Tele-Talk question: Do you feel the political climate in America puts journalists’ lives at risk?

Call (603) 733-5822 Saturday and Sunday and leave your comments on our machine. You may fax your responses to (603) 356-8360 or email them to news@conwaydailysun.com. Comments can also be posted on The Conway Daily Sun’s Facebook page. Results will be published Tuesday.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.