OSSIPEE — The Ossipee man who was the subject of an officer-involved shooting last month had had a a temporary order of protection imposed against him by a judge earlier that day, court documents show.

Ossipee police officers arrived at the Oakwood Drive residence of John Swanson at approximately 2:45 p.m. on Nov. 7 to serve Swanson, 53, with several legal documents and to arrest him, a press release issued by the state said.

According to Kate Spiner, director of communications for the state Attorney General’s Office, Swanson refused to come out of his home and state police officers were called to assist with the unfolding situation.

“At approximately 7:56 p.m., Mr. Swanson was shot during a confrontation with the police,” Spiner said, adding Swanson sustained injuries and received treatment.

“No officers or other private citizens were physically injured during the incident. There is no threat to the public,” Spiner said in the press release.

State Attorney General Gordon J. MacDonald, New Hampshire State Police Col. Christopher J. Wagner and Ossipee Police Chief Joseph Duchesne worked jointly on the investigation into the shooting.

According to documents filed Nov. 7 in Ossipee’s Circuit Court, Judge Charles Greenhalgh issued a temporary order of protection against Swanson on behalf of one of his relatives. The order would prevent Swanson from coming within 500 feet of his relative or having any contact with her.

In a domestic violence petition, the woman alleges that Swanson struggled with mental health problems and that he could be verbally and physically abusive.

Court documents show 35 Oakwood Drive as the residential address for Swanson.

Swanson was served on Nov. 15 by Trooper Brian Ross of Troop A in Epping. It is not known whether he was served in the hospital or at home.

A final hearing on the petition is to he held on Dec. 4 in front of Judge Melissa Vetanze at 8:30 a.m. at Ossipee Circuit Court, family division. The hearing is open to the public.

According to the state, the officers who discharged their firearms during the incident were Nicholas Levesque, a state trooper for seven years; Michael Cedrone, a 15-year trooper; and Nicholas Cyr, a 14-year trooper.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.