As I glanced over this week’s schedule of events, I was surprised and perhaps a little shocked to see a program the “Woodstock Memories: 50 Years Later” taking place on Friday, Aug. 16, from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. I mean really? Woodstock memories at a senior center? Then the light dawned and I did the math. Far out.
On Tuesday, Aug. 27, Tricia Mattox-Larson, a speech-language pathologist from VNS will be here at Gibson to offer her perspective on caregiving and how to shift focus from what folks with dementia can’t do to what they can do.
This will be an interactive meeting so feel free to come with any questions. I know this will be hard to believe but our Labor Day Craft Fair is rapidly approaching. The holiday is very early this year so our fair will be held on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1. More details to follow.
In closing, I do want to remind folks that if you have clothing donations for our Thrift Shop, please be sure the items are gently used and clean. We prefer you drop items off when the store is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or Saturday 9 a.m. to noon. I’m sorry to report that over the past few weeks, someone has been dropping off bags of items that were not fit to sell and, in many cases, had to be taken to the dump. Please remember that disposing of items like this cost us time and money. If you have any questions about what items we accept, call (603) 356-3231 any Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. We appreciate your assistance.
Don’t forget to check the schedule of events below or go to gibsoncenter.org. Have a wonderful weekend and God bless.
Thursday, Aug. 15: Tai ji quan class moving for better balance begins at 10:30 a.m. at Silver Lake Landing. The belly dance class starts at 9 a.m. in the activity room. Chair exercise starts at 10:30 a.m. in the activity room. Fun Day begins at 12:30 p.m. in the activity room. Caregiver Peer Support Group will meet in the social room at 12:30 p.m. Tai ji quan better balance class starts at 3:30 p.m. in the activity room. M&D Theatre Night at 7 p.m. Sign up with Penny at front desk.
Friday, Aug. 16: Woodstock Memories…50 years later at 10:30 a.m. in the activity room. Free 1:1 computer sessions with Quentin. Call (603) 356-3231 for an appointment. Board the bus at 12:30 p.m. for the 100 Day Challenge Walk.
Is living a healthier, more active life your personal goal? Come join a Gibson exercise class.
Strength, balance and stretch classes will resume Sept. 3.
Chair exercise classes are held on Monday and Thursday mornings from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Belly dance classes with Joanne Bailey, Thursdays from 9 to 10 a.m. The cost is $20 for six classes.
• Tai ji quan moving for better balance: Classes are Monday and Thursday at Gibson at 3:30 p.m. in the activity room. New class started at Silver Lake Landing Monday and Thursday in the morning.
• Strength, balance and stretch classes resume Sept. 3. on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 to 11 a.m.
• Service Link Medicare Counseling. Third Wednesday of the month. Call (603) 356-3231 for an appointment.
• Caregivers Peer Support program every Thursday from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• Veteran’s Coffee: A chance to spend time with fellow veterans. Meets the first and third Wednesday of the month at 10 a.m.
• Learn to Knit: Tuesdays after lunch at Silver Lake Landing. Beginners welcome.
• Quilting: The second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. All are welcome.
• Friday Painters: A different subject each week. Bring your own supplies. Meet after lunch on Fridays in activity room.
Payment is due when you sign up for a trip. Checks are not cashed until the day of the trip. Call (603) 356-3231 to sign up.
• Old Orchard Beach Concerts: Simon & Garfunkel 8/13 $32 each show. Dinner on own at the Clam Bake.
• Madison Historical Society: Game display on Monday, Aug. 19, after lunch.
• Sea Dogs, Elvis and Fireworks: Thursday, Aug. 22. Cost is $25.
• "Downton Abbey" exhibit: bus to Dover, DownEaster to Boston. Meals on own. Sept. 10 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Cost is $82
• Catapult Shadow Dancy Co.: A shadow illusion performance company. Thursday, Sept. 19. The cost is $35, including ticket and door-to-door bus service.
• Veteran’s Road Trip: VA home tour Oct. 16 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Norwegian Cruise to Bermuda: Oct. 18 to 25. Price varies on cabin, inside, outside or balcony.
Menu: Thursday, turkey croquettes; Friday, zucchini lasagna.