BERLIN — Beyond Therapy offers home-based, outpatient occupational therapy services within the Berlin, Gorham, Conway and Littleton region. Primary areas of focus include aging in place, wheelchair seating and mobility, and addressing the physical and emotional needs of people with chronic pain and illness.
Beyond Therapy accepts Medicare, Medicaid and many insurances. Owner Stephanie Doster said her main goal is to help seniors stay safely at home as long as possible.
Doster is an occupational therapist who moved to New Hampshire in Feb. of 2019, in order to build a life here with Scott Legendre, her partner in life and adventure. Together, they enjoy hiking and camping, exploring beautiful outdoor New England, remodeling and landscaping their old home and spending time with a very large extended family.
Doster brings over 25 years of experience to the North Country.
She is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and much of her work experience has been in Montana and Oregon. She has worked in private practice, hospitals, schools and clinics across the United States, and has also worked in the countries of Jordan and Peru. She has served people of all ages, birth to 100+, and looks forward to continuing that service here in the North Country.
“As an occupational therapist, I work with people of all ages, to help them overcome, adapt to and manage life with some sort of illness or injury,” said Doster.
She said that occupational therapists are uniquely trained and qualified to address the complex and inter-related physical, mental and emotional health issues that affect many people in our society. OT at its core is a profession that views people as being interconnected within ourselves, our families our communities and our environment.
“Our overall health is dependent on many factors, including body and mind, doctors and medications, diet and sleep habits and our ability to adapt to life changes,” said Doster. “My goal, in starting Beyond Therapy LLC, is to fully utilize my training and skills as an occupational therapist and to consciously address these interconnected factors throughout the treatment process. By using a comprehensive and holistic model, I hope to help people put their lives back together and achieve success in their everyday lives.”
Doster stated that her goal is to fill in the gaps in existing health-care models, for example:
• Treating people who don’t qualify for home health services, or who aren’t able to get home health services for whatever reason.
• Helping people who have discontinued home health but would like to continue receiving therapy services in the home.
• Reaching out to people who need outpatient therapy but have difficulty getting to the appointments.
• Working closely with family and caregivers to help them understand the disease process and learn how to safely care for their loved one.
Services provided by Beyond Therapy include:
• Education in fall prevention, medication management, diabetes management, safety in the home.
• Post surgical/injury rehab that might include shoulder surgery, amputations, joint replacements, spinal cord injury.
• Pain management techniques including manual therapy utilizing techniques such as craniosacral therapy, myofascial release and zero balancing and education in mindfulness techniques.
• Older driver safety assessment and home accessibility assessments.
Doster expects to hear the following kinds of reactions from the people she works with: "Relieved my pain. I'm able to keep living at home. I don't worry so much about falling! My illness no longer rules my life! I can do the things I enjoy. I'm better at managing my medications. I need less help with daily life.”
Beyond Therapy is open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and at other times by appointment. To make an appointment or contact Stephanie Doster send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (603) 864-8033.