By Daymond Steer
CONWAY — The divorced parents of missing teen Abigail Hernandez disagree on whether she ran away or not. The teen has been missing for over six months.
Abby Hernandez disappeared on Oct. 9 which was days before her 15th birthday. She was last seen shortly after leaving Kennett High School. Since then, the teen sent one letter home and has not been heard from again. Law enforcement ranging from the local police to the FBI have been involved in the search. National media outlets have run the story repeatedly.
Ruben Hernandez, who tends to use Facebook to communicate about his daughter, posted a lengthy "Happy Resurrection Day" message on Facebook on April 20 (Easter.) In it, he suggests taking custody of Abby in the event she wants a change of venue.
"Abby it's important that you understand my reason for wanting custody," wrote Ruben. "Since a letter was received from you it became obvious that you ran away. And that raises the question what did you run away from? Only you can answer that but I am guessing that you ran away from your home life."
On April 23, Abby's mother, Zenya, and Abby's sister, Sarah, put out a statement on the Bring Abby Home Facebook page. The statement says that the situation is "high pressure" and she will do whatever it takes to find her daughter.
"Zenya and Sarah do not believe Abby ran away," reads the statement. "The circumstances of Abby's disappearance are not known, Abby's whereabouts are not known. We continue to search for her daily. We ask that anyone with any information to please contact Conway PD at 603-356-5715, or the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI."
Senior Associate New Hampshire Attorney General Jane Young had this to say when asked about Ruben's post:
"Law enforcement still has grave concerns for Abby's safety given her age and lack of financial resources," said Young. "As we have indicated, if someone is aiding her, they certainly do not have her best interest and the best interest of her family in mind."