A+ A A-

Police: 'Worst case of suspected child abuse' nurse has ever seen

CONWAY — More details came out last week about the case against Justin Roy, the 33-year-old Albany man arrested in connection with the severe beating of a 2-year-old child in December.
Roy was arrested last week and charged with two counts of second-degree assault for allegedly beating the young boy so badly it caused "perforations to the intestines causing leakage of blood and fecal matter into the abdomen," according to documents filed at the Conway courthouse, "resulting in the need of surgery."
Each assault charge is punishable by up to seven years in prison. Roy is currently being held in jail on $50,000 cash bail.

A sworn affidavit filed by Trooper Jeffery Ardini, the State Police detective in charge of the investigation, laid out the grim details from the investigation:
"On December 19, 2011," the affidavit said, "Sgt. Rockey spoke with Dr. Lawrence Ricci, a child abuse expert at Maine Medical Center. Dr. Ricci advised Sgt. Rockey of the following: [The child] has bruising to his stomach area consistent with [the child] having suffered an impact type of injury to the area, consistent with having been hit or punched in the stomach/abdomen area. [The child] had a burn in the fold of his left armpit area, a scratch across his nose near his eyebrow area, bruising to his forehead and scratches on his buttocks extending in toward his anal area. Internally [the child] suffered perforations to his intestines causing leakage of blood and fecal matter into his abdomen area.
"It was also reported that a child of [the child's] size has approximately four pints of total blood volume," the affidavit continues. "[The child] has lost approximately two pints of blood due to internal bleeding related to injuries he sustained."
The paperwork provides 18 pages of details about the incident, from text messages Roy allegedly sent the boy's mother advising her that she should have drowned her children at birth (the two were in a romantic relationship at the time) to the accounts of neighbors, doctors, emergency room personnel and others. One nurse told police "he recalled the child's mother saying something to the effect of the child's stepfather had taken him out to the woodshed between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m., but he wasn't sure."
Police found the boy's pajamas and vomit in the woodshed when they searched the area.
The nurse also told police "in all his 33 years of service as a nurse, this was the worst case he had seen in regards of suspected child abuse," according to the paperwork.
The affadavit also includes details from interviews with Roy and the child's mother, 32-year-old Heather Downs of Bartlett.
Downs told police Roy had the boy out in the woodshed at roughly 1:45 a.m. on the morning of Dec. 19. Downs went out to check on him at 4:11 a.m., where she saw "[the child's] pajamas hanging by the wood stove." Three hours later she took the boy to the hospital after she noticed "numerous bruises and injuries, as well as [the child's] eyes rolling back in his head." Medical personnel determined the boy was going into shock and needed to go to Maine Medical Center by helicopter immediately.
Roy, meanwhile, "claimed to have hit [the child] twice in the last few days for disciplinary actions," according to the affidavit. "Roy claimed that [the child] had fallen against the wall of Roy's shed the night before he was hospitalized."
The child has since been released to his biological father. Authorities have not said whether the boy will suffer any lifelong physical impairment as a result of the abuse.
It is unclear why the affidavit was left unsealed. In many such cases, authorities ask the judge to seal arrest affidavits, particularly when they pertain to domestic violence or abuse cases. Often the information is kept sealed until the trial.
A call to Trooper Ardini was not returned.
Please update your Flash Player to view content.

Facebook Fans - Join The Conversation

Conway Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved

Privacy Policy

Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette